- In 1955 the Oklahoma District of the Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod met in Norman, authorizing the purchase of land and two apartments at 914 Elm Avenue for $22,000. They became home for Lutheran Student ministry at OU for the next nine years.
- 1963 University Lutheran Chapel was organized, and Pr. William H. Hecht was called as the first pastor.
- 1964 The first service of the University Lutheran Chapel group was held at a fraternity house at 815 S. Jenkins. Plans were approved for the building of a chapel. The congregation was officially organized on December 13th.
- 1965 The first service was held in the new chapel (April 25th).
- 1967 Pr. Hecht leaves and the congregation calls Pr. David Klumpp as pastor. Pr. Klumpp’s ministry begins on January 1, 1968.
- 1967 Sammie Olkinetzky officially called as Director of Music.
- 1975 Dedication of the Pentecost stained glass window
- As the times changed, the focus of the congregation moved from primarily student ministry to more congregational ministry with a specific outreach to students, seeking to involve OU students in all aspects of the congregation’s life and ministry.
- 1977 Adoption of the Lutheran Book of Worship as the primary liturgical and musical resource.
- 1979 The student group officially adopts the name “S.O.U.L.” (Students of University Lutheran)
- 1980 The congregation became completely self-supporting, no longer requiring subsidy from the Oklahoma District. Also in 1980, the mortgage on the building was paid off.
- 1983 Diane Baker was installed as the first full time Director of Christian Education.
- 1986 The congregation votes to leave the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod and affiliate with the Association of Evangelical Lutheran Churches (AELC), preparatory to the 1987 merger which formed the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- 1990 Purchase of the triplex property at 1015 College Avenue.
- 1998 Pr. Klumpp retires
- 1999 Pr. Sally Roach is called as pastor (resigns in 2003)
- 2005 Pr. Michael Girlinghouse is called as pastor (elected bishop in 2011)
- 2011-2012 The Build to Serve capital campaign results in the building of a new education and office wing for the church.
- 2012 The triplex burns down
- 2012 Pr. Joseph Summerville is called as pastor
- 2015-2017 The Building2Serve capital campaign to expand and renovate the facilities
- 2017 Blessing and Dedication of the new music wing, fellowship hall, narthex and kitchen
Pastors (Resident and Interim)
- Pr. William Hecht from Mt. Vernon, IL, 1963—1968
- John Singh (part-time assistant pastor)
- Pr. David Klumpp, from New Orleans, LA, 1968-1998
- Interim Pr. Mary Peterson (1998-1999)
- Pr. Sally Roach (1999-2003)
- Interim Pr. David Thies (2003-2005)
- Pr. Michael Girlinghouse, from South Dakota (2005-2011)
- Pr. Joseph Summerville, from Texas (2012-current)
Vicars (Seminary Interns)
- Gerald Iverson
- Stephen Krueger
Directors of Christian Education
- Jeannie Hummel (asst. part-time),
- Diane Baker,
- Jack Schultz (asst. part-time)
- Steve Tretheway
- Chris Lee
Director of Faith Formation
- Donna Huffman Summerville (2013-current)
- Beryl Nash
- David Johns
- Loretta Kaser
- Marian Kuhlman
- Eileen Jacobsen
- Roland Lohmann
- Ed Soehnlen
- Mary Doezema
- Ann Smith
- Grace Seamon
- Linda Wilds
- Cynthia Pullin
- *There have also been many interim and supply organists during the past 54 years!